Oliver's Chili Peppers

Oliver's Chili Peppers

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Comfort Food

So, it's been awhile. My sincere apologies oh wide blogosphere. But, my reasons for being away have to do with our family suffering a loss of one near and very dear to our hearts. 


On the day that we found out, as my family sat together in our stunned grief, I noticed the food. There was food everywhere. My aunt had been sick for a long time, and not knowing what else to do, people sent or brought food. Lasagnas, perogies, cabbage rolls, and cakes; doughnuts, cookies, and the like. It was such comfort to know that people cared about her, and us, so much that they wanted to do something, anything, that they could. 


In our hearts, always.
In these days that go on without her, when life keeps moving, not allowing for time to grieve, I think of the lasagna that the funeral home gave. They knew that giving a family one night without the task of making dinner, and just letting them "be" could be a great help. 


It's a wonder how food somehow can be comforting. Simple ingredients, cooked together, transfers the love it was made with to the people that need it most. 





No comments:

Post a Comment