Oliver's Chili Peppers

Oliver's Chili Peppers

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ode to the Mixer & Other Loves




I am not a baker. I do not pretend to know the elaborate technique of a pastry chef. I admire from a far the intricate beauty of the glossy little cakes and petits fours in bakeries and patisseries. I look on longingly, as chefs and friends, create, with ease, the most beautiful desserts. But that is not me. I do not measure or weigh my ingredients. The science and precision of it all is lost on my inner drama queen, that cannot follow a recipe, nevermind ensure that I am using the right kind of flour.

My Mixer
Enter the Kitchenaid mixer. I have wanted one forever. As a child, I watched Martha Stewart create some fabulous thing or another with hers. Light as air meringue in moments, cake batter in a jif, no fuss, no muss. I figured that this must be the secret to her perfect creations (not a team of editors, test kitchens and general perfection makers). I finally was given one for my wedding (best gift ever! Thanks again Mom & Sister!) and then left it in its box for two months. I was intimidated by it! Now, I really had to make things that  were amazing. I couldn't be a from-a-box cake baker anymore. What would Martha say?

I did all my Christmas baking with the mixer that year. That got me comfortable with the speeds and exactly when to drop in the flour, and how much to put in at time (without covering yourself and your kitchen in flour completely). And now I can make pastry, and even, yep, wait for it, MERINGUE! The miracle of two measly egg whites whipped into a delicious frenzy. My pies and cakes have turned out each time. The cookies have been perfect. Mostly, I am in love with it!

I am still not a baker. I don't have the patience or the precision, and it is unlikely that I ever will. But with a little help from my friend the Kitchenaid, I am a few pie crusts, meringues, and cake batters closer.

Other things in my kitchen that I feel much love for, worthy of upcoming Odes...

1) My 7" J.A. Henckels Santoku Knife
2) My White Marble Mortar & Pestle 
3) My giant non-stick Bialetti Pan with Glass Lid
4) My hand me down Sunbeam Breadmaker
5) My Breville Juicer
6) My hand me down, and now cracked due to husband dropping it, Flame coloured Le Creuset oval French oven.

Do you have items in your kitchen that you cannot live without? Or that help you on your quest to become a better baker or cook? I can't wait to hear your feedback!

4 comments:

  1. you and I are similar
    1. Kitchen Aid stand mixer
    2. Ed Shun knife
    3. Giant Bialetti Pan with Glass Lid
    4. Porcelain covered cast iron stewing pot, Mario Batali - not Le Creuset...
    5. OXO tongs

    All these things please me when I use them and am lost without...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Steph- you reminded me of my Le Creuset pot! How could I have forgotten her?! I also need to find a good set of tongs. Would you recommend the OXO ones then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! For me:

    1. KA mixer
    2. Calphalon pots and matching utensils
    3. KA food processor
    4. Oster blender (all-metal - LOVE!)
    5. Set of Henckels knives, but mostly the Santoku
    6. OXO cookie scoops - can't live without them

    I love most OXO products. Don't have their tongs. But I'm sure they are good. I just bought a ceiling-mount pot rack to hold all our pots. I can't contain my excitement.

    I just bought a Dyson. Gulp. Maybe it'll make this list too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OXO tongs are the best! hmmm have to try the cookie scoops. Any suggestions on dry measuring scoops?

    ReplyDelete